Friday, September 4, 2009

Scrambled Eggs with Zucchini, Leeks, and Basil


Leeks are delicious
Zucchini is nutritious
Would you like some eggs?

For the longest time, I thought I didn’t care for eggs very much. After reading that eggs need to be cooked on extremely low heat to reach their fullest potential, I realized that I had been cooking them incorrectly my entire life. Turns out, my apathy toward eggs is solely a function of having been exposed to too many rubbery, bland scrambled eggs (and my proclivity to cook them on medium heat).  This dish proves that hypothesis beyond any reasonable doubt.
After a trip to the famers market, I was armed with fresh eggs, zucchini, and leeks.  I was originally planning on making a frittata, but decided I was too hungry to wait for it to bake, so I opted for scrambled eggs instead.
It was quite easy to make.  I just cut up the white part of a couple of leeks, and sautéed in a mixture of olive oil and butter (a couple of Tbs total) for about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.  At that point, I added the grated zucchini (about 2 small) to the pan with the leeks, and continued sautéing for another 5 minutes or so.  
Meanwhile, I broke 5 or 6 eggs into a bowl, seasoned with salt and pepper, and beat.  Finally, I turned the heat to low, and poured the egg mixture and about 1/3 c of grated parmesan cheese into the pan with the leeks and zucchini.  I constantly (and gently) stirred with a spatula, and added some chopped fresh basil just before done.  A little tip:  remember that the eggs will continue to cook after you remove the pan from the burner, so take off the heat slightly before the eggs are just set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment