Monday, August 17, 2009

Raw Pie with Coconut, Date & Nut Crust


Raw. Bad rap, perhaps?

Delightful dates, nuts & fruit
Pure simplicity


Here is my first attempt at creating a completely raw dessert. Although I'm far from a raw foodist, I must say this pie was simple, delicious, and really highlighted the intense flavor of the fruit I picked up from the farmer's market. I actually made the pie a while back, so I don’t remember what I did exactly (though I do recall I used to get really mad at my mother when she said there was no recipe for something I liked!)

So I’ll try to recap…for the crust I combined about 1 cup of almonds, 1 c of walnuts, 1/2 c coconut, 1/2 c dates, dash of salt and cinnamon in a food processor. Taste and adjust as necessary. Press it into a pie pan and stick it in the fridge. For the second layer, puree a package of strawberries with some dates, and then separately puree some blackberries with dates to achieve the different colors. Spread on the pie crust and top with fruit! VoilĂ ! I seriously couldn’t believe how easy and yummy it was--I even thought about becoming a raw foodist…for about 2.37 seconds.




2 comments: